© COPYRIGHT 2024 JOY OHAGWU
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Hi and happy Sunday!
In times of uncertainty, most people don't know what to take and what to keep. As a Christian, if the all breaks loose, what do you take and what do you leave? As a daughter of two war survivors, where starvation was used as a weapon, let me give you some personal, and non professional suggestions.
1. Salt. Salt is the one thing my Mom decried their not having during the war. Said people resorted to ash. Salt is not only a preservative for meats, it helps prevent infection when you wash wounds with it. Salt also helps maintain the salinity of your body, highly essential!
2. Norwegian Cod fish.If you are not from Africa (or Norway) you would not know or have eaten this fish. But, I can assure you, that if you were to find yourself in an emergency situation where there is no ready access to protein, to keep alive, you need fish. This fish has the most dense protein I know of by experience. If your teeth is not strong, you may have trouble consuming it. It is dried so well, that to eat it, you have to cook it. I highly suggest you visit an international African food store, ask for (stock fish), have then cut them into slices as small as possible then bag it and forget it. It will last for years and still be good. If you have this fish, you take as much of a bite as you can tear from it's hardness, and that supply of protein can carry you for an entire day. You do need to preserve it in triple ziploc as the fish smell is very strong and escapes every form of wrapping. But, where there is no ready source of protein, one arm of this fish (cut into small bits ahead by a machine at the store and eaten with small tears, not bites, as needed) will save your life for months!
3. Dry powdered milk/coffee creamer/small pack of candy.
4. A small electric kettle. You can plug it into any power source you find and voila, you have hot water! You can carefully place raw eggs in it and boil. Wash the kettle and store it. You can re-use it,
5. A Thermal mug/flask. Keeping hot water in a thermal container means ready access to hot water should urgent need arise in a place you cannot readily boil water. Sfely clean a wound with warm water, and make a quick meal.
6. Ramen. I know. You're too classy to eat Ramen. Put it in your car and forget about it. The day you cannot reach a store, are in an emergency, you can eat it raw, and if you have a thermal and hot water, you can make it into a meal.
7. Cookies. If you have a pack of cookies, no matter what, it's ready food, though unhealthy.
8. Spare clothing. Place a pack of jeans, underwear, feminine products, bath soap, body wipes, and a flat shoe in your car. When my car was totaled in January 2023, I climbed out through the trunk and because the car was in water, i took the crocs in the car and stepped out with both legs wounded out of the car. I do not know what was in those waters but thank GOD for the strangers who ran into the water to rescue me.They were neither police nor first responders, just other drivers who cared about my life. May GOD bless them and remember them for good in JESUS Name, Amen! But, have a pair of crocs in your car. And underwear, including a bra for ladies. And everything that can cover your nakedness should everything you are wearing need to go.
9. Water. A 40-pack of water is i think around $6 at Walmart. Buy a pack, put it in your trunk. You never want to find yourself without water.
10. As a Christian, this is of utmost importance. Buy even a small bottle of extravirgin olive oil and paper towels/napkins and put in your car and purse. Should you run into an emergency, shelter in the premises where a satanic agent is sheltering, or owns, they may be kind in the daytime but hell knows no kin at night. You can pray over that oil, it carries the power of GOD to you, and can reverse every satanic attack. Certain attacks, especially serpentine attacks, can only be repelled by direct application of the power of GOD, and the only conduit approved by Scripture, is the anointing oil.
Friends, you can dictate where your journey starts, but under this sun, never where it ends. Only GOD knows so it pays to be prepared.
Finally, carry your Bible. I love my audio Bible and play it often. Times may come when platforms disappear, power goes out, and home is unaccessible.
Crack open that eternal WORD of GOD and see it feed you from pages known to give life eternally. It will keep your heart from anxiety, give you hope, show you the path to take, where to plant your feet, and keep your eyes on who to trust, and where your help ultimately comes from, THE LORD. Shalom.